Karina Polanco Jimenez
PacWest Performance Studio Director & Performance Coach
– B.A. Cognitive Science, UC Berkeley, May 2019
– NASM Certified Personal Trainer
– American Red Cross CPR/AED
– USAT Team USA Qualifier for Draft-Legal Sprint Triathlon World Championships in Laussane, Switzerland 2019
– 2018 Draft-Legal National Championships at Sarasota-Bradenton Triathlon Festival in Sarasota, Florida, Female 20-24 top 4, Draft-Legal Sprint World Championship qualifier
– 2018 USAT Age Grop National Championships Cleveland, Ohio, Female 20-24 top 6
– 2018 Oakland Triathlon Festival Olympic Distance, Female 20-24 2nd Place
– Multiple local Sprint Triathlon age group top 3, including Oakland Triathlon Festival 2017, UCLA Tritonman 2018, Stanford Treeathlon 2018, and California Triathlons 2018
– Multiple local 5K and Half Marathon age group top 3, including Oakland Running Festival and Berkeley Half Marathon (5K)
– Cal Recreational Sports Facility Staff – 2018-2019: Maintenance of weight room area, provided assistance with questions including machine operation, exercise form and techniques as well as spotting sets.
Sports saved Karina’s life after battling with a broken family, depression and eating disorders. Her athletic life began during her last year of high school when she joined her school’s soccer and track team. Do to life circumstances, she was not allowed to do sports prior to that. When she came to Cal, she started training on her own and co
mpeted in local 5Ks. Always looking for new challenges, one day she saw a sign for the Oakland Triathlon Festival 2017 and signed up. She searched on line and created her own 4-week training plan in preparation for this race. After not only completing her first triathlon ever but placing 2nd in her age group (20-24), she fell in love with the sport and hopes to continue and maybe even surpass the Ridgeway legacy!
Karina enjoys an active lifestyle that includes playing other sports, especially basketball and soccer. She also enjoys gardening, visiting farmers market and cooking new recipes. As an avid crossfit fan, Karina watches Crossfit Games documentaries where she finds continued inspiration for further hard work in her triathlon training.
Karina believes that fitness and health is not a destination you can arrive at or something you can check off and think you are finished. Health and fitness goals one sets can be achieved through hard work and smart planning. Whether it is losing weight, gaining muscle, or improving sports performance, Karina desires to help others in ways that create natural and enjoyable habits that can be applied to everyday life. Karina believes health and fitness is a way of life. It is something we constantly have to work at and something we cannot live without.